o Instructor: Susan O. Baker, Associate Professor of Science
o Best means of contacting: Email: email@example.com
o Office: 290 Jewett Hall
o Office Hours, Fall 2014
o Monday: noon – 1:00 pm; 4:00 – 4:30 pm
o Tuesday: 11:00 am – 1:00 pm; 4:00 – 4:30 pm
o Thursday: 11:00 am – 1:00 pm
Lecture Exam # 3 – November 25
You may bring a half sheet of paper to this exam with writing on one side.
COURSE INFORMATION & GOOD LINKS
Lecture: Tuesday 1:00 pm - 3:45 pm; 180 Jewett Hall – I will be in the classroom at ~12:30 pm every week.
· Lecture Videos –Select login with Blackboard and then use your BlackBoard/UMA email login and password.
· Another textbook’s website – free, has good practice tests
o Diversity of Life – Some of my Favorite Living Organisms
o CH 1: Biology: Exploring Life – provided in class, feel free to look at these before class.
o CH 2: The Chemical Basis of Life – print for class #2 on 9/9
o CH 11: Focus on Regulation of Gene Activity
HOMEWORK INFORMATION – Late HW will not be accepted. Reminder…..your quiz grade is based on your 5 best HW grades.
o Answer Sheet for HW – answers to multiple choice HW MUST be submitted on this answer sheet or one similar in style!
Chapter Learning Objectives and Potential Essay Questions
Exam #1: 9/30
o Learning Objectives, CH 1-3 – what you need to know for the 1st exam
o Videos to reinforce CH 1-3 topics
· Chemical Bonding – watch before lecture #2
· Biological Molecules –this 15 minute video complements the CH 3 lecture on carbohydrates, lipids, dehydration and hydrolysis reactions
o Potential Essay Questions for Exam #1 – now posted
Exam #2: 10/28
o Learning Objectives and Potential Essay for Exam#2 - be sure to use this document to focus your study
· Another textbook’s website – free, has good practice tests…I highly recommend you take the CH 4 test on this website in preparation for Exam #2
Exam #3: 11/25 – You may bring a half sheet of paper with writing on one side to this exam.
Exam #4: Due 12/9
o Genetics Take Home Exam – This is the version of the exam with the questions, links to related websites, and background information on the traits. It does not have room for answers. The next link will take you to a version of the exam with room for your answers. Genetics Exam Answer Sheet – This document has room to answer the questions, but without all of the very useful links and some of the background information found at the version of the exam above! I will provide copies of this in class.
Exam #5: 12/16
· Another good meiosis video - a little longer, but more colorful!
o Mitosis/Meiosis Labeling Handout – make sure you can complete this handout
o DNA à RNA à Protein Practice Handout with answers – good practice for the exam
o Rosalind Franklin - interesting reading